Thursday, April 2, 2009

A long day

It has been a long, trying day. Sitting around waiting is hard work!

Savannah went in to surgery around 9am to 9:30. She didn't come out till around 3pm. It ran longer than they had anticipated. The mass under her arm was much larger than they had first thought so that took extra time. They also removed the spot on her back shoulder which added time to the procedure.
Her team of doctors say they removed as much of the tumor as possible without getting into the nerves, muscle and other important parts. They have plenty of cells to work with now to grow the till cells.
They will be doing another procedure early in the morning to extract about 15% of her white blood cells to "feed" the immune cells to insure they grow well and multiply.
Savannah is doing well. She is in good but "mellow" spirits......I'm pretty sure that is due to the wonderful pain medicine they have her on.
Today Danny moved us in to the Family Lodge where we will be until we leave here. It is only about a 3 or 4 minute walk from the hospital.

Earlier this evening we had a room full of visitors......it was great! The nurse didn't know what to do........we told him it was a good thing we weren't at home where we knew everybody!!! ;)

God has answered many prayers today and we trust He will continue. Thanks for all the prayers!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Kelsey Walker and I had a long chat on the phone today and are already planning some kind of cell group hang out for when you're home. Let me just say that it is TOUGH to be here when you're there. Thanks for posting this update Ms. Patti. I've been sitting on the edge of my chair all day! Prayers for rest and swift recovery sweet Savannah! To pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that the surgery went well! My name is Jenny and I was one of Savannah's cell group leaders along with Elizabeth, Kelsey, Jenn and Kaitlyn. My husband and I recently moved to Wisconsin and so I am sad not to be able to be a part of the prayer groups and get togethers but know that I am praying here. Give Savannah a hug for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting is most definitely the hard part; I have recently learned that lesson the hard way. Wes and I are so glad you are there, with family around you and such close accommodations. Tell Savannah we are thinking about her. You guys sound like you are doing so well. What a blessing! I need some of those good drugs and you probably do too by now :0) LOL

    "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined the things that God has prepared for those who love him." 1Cor 2:9

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful news. I am thinking of you all the time. Give Savannah our love. Brad says to tell her not to talk to boys!!!! Lot's of love, Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Patti! So glad to here that all went well!! I remember when Charles was 9 mths old and had surgery on his club foot. it took about 2 hours and I though it was forever!!!Still praying for all of you! Keeping the faith! vickie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danny, Patti and Savannah! HI! Oh, my goodness we just love you all so much. I hope that you know that and you have been in our prayers. I have called Macey and Cambre to let them know about Savannah. I could not believe it when I heard. If there is anything we can do at all (whatever) we will do it for you guys.
    We love you all. Have a safe trip home and I will keep in touch with you thru your blog. We had a scare with Cambre last summer with a bad mole on her leg! YIKES! We are praying for God to heal her. We are praying for strength and guidance for you and Danny!
    Love the Brooks girls and Doug

    ReplyDelete